- In a 350°F oven roast canned tomatoes until golden brown.
- In a heavy bottom pan melt butter and render bacon until crisp then add vegetables and begin to caramelize.
- Once vegetables have caramelized add tomato paste.
- When the vegetables are deep golden deglaze with whiskey, let reduce until dry, once dry add the sherry, reduce until dry, then add wine and reduce by half.
- Add roasted tomatoes sachet juice, stock and milk bring to a simmer.
- Once at a simmer add rice and cook until rice is over cooked (at least 45 minutes).
- Remove the sachet the puree in a blender and strain through a fine screen strainer.
- Once soup is strained season with salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, Texas Pete, juice of the lemon.
- Reheat to simmer and serve immediately; garnish with lump crabmeat.