Crispy Potato Cake / Wilted Spinach / Sauce Dijonnaise
Lump Crab & Ham Process
- Sauté crabmeat in 1⁄2 oz. butter with half the shallot and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, add splash of white wine. Keep crabmeat lumps whole.
- Sauté spinach with 1⁄2 oz. butter and the remaining shallots and garlic and season to taste.
Crisp Potato Cakes Process
- Add lemon juice to grated potatoes to avoid discoloration.
- Place potatoes in a china cup or sieve, squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Add all remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Heat cast iron on Teflon pan. Add canola or vegetable oil – enough to cover surface. Pancakes need to nearly swim in the oil.
- Drop the pancake batter in to hot oil by level serving spoons. Brown on one side then turn over. Edges need to be nice and crisp.
- Place large piece of paper towel on platter or baking pan.
- Place finished pancakes on paper towel to absence the oil from the frying.
- Finish in 375°F oven if necessary.
Sauce Dijonnaise Process
- Whisk egg yolks over double boiler until thick. Remove from heat.
- Slowly whisk in clari ed butter, in a slow stream.
- Add Dijon and season with salt and pepper.
- Place Crisp Potato Cake in center of bowl plate, arrange thinly sliced Virginia Country Ham on potato cake.
- Arrange the sautéed spinach on the ham.
- Place the sautéed crabmeat on the top of the spinach. Arrange crabmeat lumps carefully in circular mount.
- Spoon on Dijonnaise and flash under broiler. Can also place sautéed crabmeat on a ring cutter on top of the ham to form a cylinder then remove the ring.
- Surround base with some nice vegetables.
- Drizzle small amount of Beurre Blanc around the base of the dish.
- Garnish with chive sticks, tomato concassé and reduced balsamic vinegar.