Bring a taste of Germany home this October!
Braised Red Cabbage
Written By: Chef Hans Schadler
Yield: approx 10 servings
Prep Time: 20 min
3 ea Bacon Strips, lardons
2 ea Red Onion, small dice
4 ea Garlic cloves, minced
2 ea Red Cabbage Heads, shredded
4 ea Apples, shredded
4c Red wine
2 ¼c Red wine vinegar
1c Brown Sugar
1T Kosher Salt
1tsp Black Pepper
12 ea Cloves
2 ea Cinnamon Sticks
2 ea Bay Leaves
1. In a heavy bottom rondeau, heat and render bacon and once crispy add onions, garlic, and cabbage and sauté until cabbage is par cooked.
2. Then add apples, wine, vinegar, water, brown sugar, and sachet.
3. Allow to cook until liquid has almost evaporated and cabbage is tender.
4. Dust cabbage with cornstarch and thoroughly incorporate.
5. Season with salt and pepper and chill properly.
6. Label, Date, and Refrigerate